Please be aware of the following major incident impacting travellers with flights today in and out of Melbourne Tullamarine Airport.
EVENT: An aircraft with five people on board has crashed into a building near Essendon Airport
It has been reported that an aircraft with five people on board has crashed into a building near Essendon Airport causing a major explosion at what they believe to be DFO shopping outlet.
It is understood to be a charter flight that was heading to King Island with five people on board.
As a result, the Tullamarine Fwy has been closed which is the main freeway used to get to Melbourne Tullamarine airport.
Please advise your travellers to allow extra time to get to/from MEL Tullamarine Airport. Vicroads has provided this current advice below.
For up to date details on the road closures, please visit http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/
– The Tullamarine Freeway is closed in both directions between English Street and Pascoe Vale Road.
– The Calder Freeway is closed in both directions between McNamara Avenue and Pascoe Vale Road.
– Bulla Road is closed at the Tullamarine Freeway including the entry ramp to the Tullamarine Freeway inbound.
– All access to the Essendon Airport is closed.
– VicRoads advises motorists to detour via the Western Ring Road to the West Gate Freeway.
– VicRoads advises motorists to detour via Pascoe Vale Road to Buckley Street and through to Milleara Road and Keilor Park Drive, and onto the Western Ring Road.
Current road closures: